In the context of the Department’s strategic goal to provide ‘a safe and secure Ireland’, Policing Division is responsible for advising the Minister in relation to policing policy matters (both domestic and international), discharging the Minister’s governance responsibilities and the exercise of his/her powers in relation to An Garda Síochána, Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission, the Policing Authority, Garda Síochána Inspectorate and Forensic Science Ireland. The Division is also responsible for the establishment and operation of Commissions, Tribunals and Inquiries related to policing matters.
Policing Division does this by:
- Supporting the development of an effective, visible and accountable police service,
- Overseeing the implementation of the agreed programme of reform and investment in An Garda Síochána,
- Securing resources for An Garda Síochána, the oversight bodies and Forensic Science Ireland and monitoring their performance against agreed objectives,
- Developing policy and legislative proposals connected with An Garda Síochána, Oversight bodies and the Reform of Policing,
- Liaising with and supporting the Policing Authority, the Garda Inspectorate, the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) and Forensic Science Ireland,
- Supporting the arrangements for the oversight of the DNA database,
- Representing the Minister in various employee relations fora, legal actions etc.,
- Supporting the work of the various Commissions, Tribunals and Inquiries and manage the work arising from same,
- Authorising compensation for Gardaí who are maliciously injured.
In support of this work the Division receives reports from An Garda Síochána and the oversight bodies on matters relating to the application and use of Garda resources, the achievement of its objectives and matters relating to performance and governance of the police service. These reports enable the Minister to carry out his/her constitutional and statutory duties vis-à-vis the Government, Oireachtas (legislature) and wider public.
Finally the Division also deals with general administrative duties, such as dealing with correspondence to the Minister, Freedom of Information requests, Data Protection requests, Parliamentary Questions and other Parliamentary business.