The role of Secretary General
Aidan O'Driscoll is our Secretary General.
The Secretary General is the senior civil servant and non-political head of the Department. His job is day-to-day management and non-political strategic planning and direction.
The Secretary General is the Accounting Officer. He is responsible for safeguarding the funds under the control of the Department and for ensuring economy and efficiency in the running of the Department.
The role of Deputy Secretary General
Oonagh McPhillips and Oonagh Buckley are our current Deputy Secretary Generals. The responsibilities of the Deputy Secretary Generals includes the criminal justice system, overseeing the aspects of the Department’s work which directly impacts on this system.
Management Board's role
The Management Board has an important and central role in leading, directing and governing the Department of Justice and Equality and the wider justice and equality sector.
The purpose of the Management Board is to provide strategic leadership, vision and direction to the Department’s staff and agencies; operating as a trusted advisor to the Minister; and ensuring effective and robust governance and oversight leading to a safer, fairer and more inclusive Ireland in which to live, work and do business.
Management Board members are:
- Aidan O'Driscoll, Secretary General
- Oonagh McPhillips, Deputy Secretary General
- Oonagh Buckley, Deputy Secretary General
- Michael Donnellan, Director General, Irish Prison Service
- Michael Flahive, Assistant Secretary, Criminal Law Reform
- James Martin, Assistant Secretary, Prisons, Probation and International Policy
- Conan McKenna, Assistant Secretary, Civil Law Reform and Courts Policy
- John O’Callaghan, Assistant Secretary, Policing
- Carol Baxter, Assistant Secretary, Head of Asylum Services, Integration and Equality
- Ben Ryan, Assistant Secretary, Crime and Security
- Doncha O'Sullivan, Assistant Secretary, Corporate Services
- Andrew Payne, Principal Officer, Corporate Secretariat
- Layla de Cogan Chin, Principal Officer, Corporate Secretariat
- Michael Kirrane, Director General, Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
- Vivian Geiran, Director, Probation Service
- Marion Walsh, Director of Cosc and Victims of Crime Offices and Crime (Firearms, Explosives and Private Security policy)
- John Laffan, Principal Officer, Civil Law Reform, vice-chair PO Forum
- Eileen Leahy, Principal Officer, Human Resources, chair PO Forum
Responsibilities of the Management Board:
Providing leadership and strategic direction to the Department of Justice and Equality and the justice and equality sector generally, consistent with the Department’s culture and values
Developing, promoting and overseeing the implementation of major policies and programmes in line with the Department’s strategic objectives
Providing leadership and support to the staff of the Department
Providing quality, coordinated and timely advice on strategic matters affecting the Department to the Minister, Ministers of State and the Government
Providing appropriate leadership, oversight, management and review of the Department’s Strategy Statements and Business Plans and activities, and as appropriate, of the relevant sector-wide activities
Monitoring performance against corporate plans, budgets and targets
Providing oversight of the strategic management and distribution of the Department’s resources, prioritising resources where they are needed most
Leading and overseeing the process of change, encouraging innovation, to enhance the Department’s capacity to meet current and future needs
Ensuring that an appropriate governance framework is in place for the Department and the sector, in particular
- to assist the Secretary General in discharging his Accounting Officer functions
- to ensure that the Department operates within its defined boundaries to an agreed and acceptable degree of risk and a reasonable assurance that all material financial and regulatory requirements are being met
- to ensure that effective governance and accountability arrangements are in place between the Department and its agencies and bodies.